Monday, September 12, 2011

Friends Forever


What a weekend! I laughed, I cried, I lounged on the beach, I ate, I drank, and I loved life. But most of all, I reflected, refreshed, and learned.

Girl's weekend 2011 was nothing short of fabulous. You couple four best friends that have known each other for almost two decades with a bunch of young and crazy twenty somethings- and trust me it makes for a good time... Not to mention a gorgeous beach mere steps away and a podunk bar named Tacky Jack's that provided tons of entertainment!

And to think that I had thought of bailing out on the trip by coming up with a lame excuse like I had the stomach bug... because trust me, that had crossed my mind. I had severe anxiety about going on this trip because of one reason... my weight. I know it sounds crazy to some, but it's the truth. And throughout the weekend my weight continued to bother me. Every time I stuffed my mouth with food, I was paranoid people were talking about me. I felt like a beached whale on the beach. And for the first time in my life, I was the biggest girl at the bar.

But at the end of the day, I walked away with with a better attitude than ever and I'm ready to work on my issues. Because ya know what- They are MY issues, and MY issues alone.

My friends could have cared less if I'm thirty pounds overweight. They think I'm beautiful just the way I am. They could care less if I have a roll showing, if my clothes matched, if my hair was done, or even if I didn't shower and chose to smell like a brewery all weekend long. Don't worry, I did choose to shower... at least once.

I learned that when someone is a true friend and really cares about you- none of the things people stress about matter. It truly is what's on the inside that counts. When it comes down to it... Everyone- even the skinny chick that looks amazing has insecurities.

People struggle with money, abusive relationships, infertility, addiction, family drama... the list could go on forever. But think about it... Do any of those make you love a person less? Not me. And not my friends. And I love them for that.

Now, if I can just find the answer to being a friend to myself, life would be great... I saw this quote on a blog, and it hit home:

"If you talked to your friends like you talk to your body, you'd have no friends left."

And after this weekend, I can't imagine not having my girls.:) Maybe it's time for me to start loving my body no matter what. And just like my friends, I can listen to it, analyze it, and help it in a positive way.:) Because that's what friends are for.

No comments:

Post a Comment