Sunday, December 13, 2009

Active Rest

Oh my good Lord! And I do mean that in a good way.:) I started LA Boxing a little over a week ago, and I was soooo far out of my comfort zone. I have always belonged to a gym, and have always said that I "go to the gym" as part of my daily routine. But now, I know the difference between "going to the gym" and truly working out!

Before this experience, I would make my way to the gym 4-5 days a week with the best of intentions of working out. But somehow, once I got on the treadmill or elliptical, Whoopi and "The View" or my US Weekly grabbed my attention, and I would never even break a sweat. Sometimes, I hate to admit it, but I would go to the gym to... ummm... shower! I could easily stick my kids in the daycare, "act" like I did a quick workout, and then make my way to the sauna and shower so I could have a moment's peace in my day. Maybe that's why I didn't lose any weight with all those hours I put in at the gym!

I have never been a "class" girl. This white girl has noooo rhythm whatsoever. I will never forget my senior prom when the boy I was dancing with literally stopped, looked at me, and said, "Are you dancing to the same song I am, because it sure doesn't look like it." The nerve! But seriously, I am aware of my abilities, so step classes, Zumba, and any other class requiring coordination have been out for me!

When I first showed up at LA Boxing, I immediatly asked where the "back row" was. I'm sooo that back row girl. I want to be as far out of the instructor's view and blend into the background. I was quickly told that there really isn't a back row... and now I know what they meant. Over the course of the past week, I have gone from the girl that wouldn't step foot into a class to someone that is loving them!

I have taken about 6 kickboxing classes and am now an addict! Speaking of feeling comfortable, I have only taken one instructor's class... Naser's. I HEART Naser!



Naser runs his classes as if he's the mother hen. He encourages you, takes care of you, explains what you need to do, and how to do it. He never makes fun of you, calls you out, or embarasses you. I have gotten a workout and left the class pouring in sweat. He won't let you slack off. I really think he has a radar and can tell when you are about to conk out. He shows up and pushes you hard... and harder. I swear, every time I'm about to quit the ab exercises because I'm about to pee (hey, sorry- but I've had two kids!), he shows up, and makes me dig deep and get through it. You never know what his class is going to be like. I've been in a class where we are at our bag the entire time. I've been in a class where we partner up and do crazy a$$ drills that made us ask if we are in a "Dancing with the Stars" boot camp. And I've been in a class where we work the entire floor in lanes. Today, between rounds, he said we were going to have an "active rest." He made us power through and do squats, lunges, etc. on our rest! But ya know what, it was so.much.fun.!

I was very pessimistic about this gym not providing day care... but now I'm glad that it doesn't. For once, I've been able to take an hour for myself. I haven't been called out of class to change a poopy diaper, I haven't had to think about fixing sippys and a snack to cart to the gym, I haven't had to worry about anything, but me. I haven't been able to do that in a long, long time. And I can honestly tell you that even though it's hard for me to leave my kids, I am a better mother for it.

Please Naser, continue to kick my butt, challenge me, and teach me. I'm loving it- and it's way better than catching up on my celebrity gossip or a relaxing shower. Who Knew!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment