Friday, February 26, 2010

Infomercial

When I started this blog, I made it clear to everyone that I am not receiving money or being paid to tell you how great LA Boxing is... but when you truly believe in something, you want to share it with everyone.

Over the past two years, I have been a member of three local gyms. I'm not going to name names or bash them. I'm sure many people love them, but they just weren't for me. For the longest time, I have been a bear. I have walked into the women's workout area and pretended to workout. I hibernated, no one knew my name, no one cared if I was there, and no one noticed if I skipped out on a workout and lounged in the sauna with a gossip rag. I worked out 5-6 days a week and never lost a pound.

Today, I met up with a friend at a new gym in our area... the country club of gyms. I had a great time- I got in 30 minutes of cardio, my kids enjoyed the play area, and I got to have a shake and hang out with my girlfriend. This is the same gym that I would have sold my body (well, not really) to join a few months ago. But today, when I left, I craved a workout. More than anything, I wanted to be where I'm not just the next sale that walks through the door. I wanted to be at a close knit gym where everyone "gets" each other. Caffeine is out, and my new drug of choice is LA Boxing.

For those of you that haven't visited this gym, it really is a way of life. Are there downfalls? Yes- I hate to break it to ya, but that shower is not a shower. I wouldn't be caught dead getting ready in that area. I'm afraid members might hear me fart, it's more like a stall, and my hair would frizz so bad in that small room that it would be pointless to even shower. Would it be nice to have a cafe with protein shakes, yes... and a pool to take the kids swimming, yes... But I can tell you I get more out of an hour class than any time spent at a country club.

Contrary to public belief, LA Boxing is not a male hangout. In fact, it is a 50/50 gym. There are no meatheads, and everyone I have come across is sooo nice! The staff is welcoming, the instructors genuinely care about you, and most importantly, it works!

During some of the day time classes, there is a group of women that are regulars. They are older than me- but I want to be them. I had Justin ask one of them their age, and she had to calculate it out based on the year she was born in. How great is that? Age really is just a number! These women love being in class, and whether they know it or not, their energy rubs off on others. They are in great shape, can beat me through a set of exercises, and every week you hear them laughing out loud.

You never know who is going to touch your life. So many members have made my day or in some way ministered to me. For example- good ole' Eye Candy now checks in with me. There is one member that counts his punches out loud. I have yet to figure out if he realizes he is doing this, but I love it. He totally motivates me to move faster and keep up with his counts. I've met women that I am now friends with on facebook and who are role models to me. Kelly, J.D., Rebecca, Kevin, and Lauren- you are my family members and even though you don't want to claim me, I have been blessed to workout with you and share laughs. I could go on and on... but the point is. I'm not invisible. I'm not a bear. I'm finally living life and enjoying myself at a gym. And wouldn't ya know, for once, something is working and helping the scale move. Yes, I am the crazy blogger, and yes, I am learning to laugh out loud. My gym can beat up your gym any day. LA Boxing... results are typical.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment