Thursday, August 19, 2010

Breakthrough

I came. I saw. I conquered.

Writing this blog has brought about so many eye-opening things to my attention. Sometimes I question what I do- I really put my life out there. Every time I think about quitting, I realize I have made some of the best friends through this blog- and eventhough I'm the one writing, it's really my readers that are actually teaching and encouraging me.

I have issues. We all know this. When I look in the mirror, I don't see my straight, white teeth (Thanks Mom and Dad for braces... twice) but I see teeth that on many occasions people have questioned if I have dentures. I don't see blue eyes; I see wrinkles and crow's feet that are forming way too fast. I don't see athletic legs; I see a huge scar down the front of my leg from attempting to canoe. Key word attempting. I don't see a beautiful belly that carried my babies- In fact, I'm usually squeezing it, pooching it out, and gagging at the rolls. But what I'm learning from others is that I'm not that bad off.

Readers such as my size 0 cousin Paige tell me that I'm looking thinner. When I'm feeling down, I always seem to have an e-mail from my mentor Cindy trying to get me going with a race or from a high school friend Ann who tells me how lucky I am to be scoring new pairs of kicks. And you don't know how nice it is to hear readers like my friend Courtney who doesn't have an ounce of fat on her complain about her body. Sorry girl, but I love it.

What I'm learning more and more is that no matter how perfect, how tight, and how flawless others may appear, deep down we all have issues. It's not just me.

Weight loss for me has been a roller coaster. There are ups and downs, turns and twists, unexpected starts and stops. There are times you want to scream, times you laugh, and as a lady who has had two children- times you pee your pants. But at the end of the day, it's much more fun if you sit back and enjoy the ride.

And guess what... that's what I did on my family vacation. Sure, I'm pudgy, up twenty pounds, and frustrated with my weight gain. But ya know what? I did something I haven't done in at least eight years. I donned a bikini... in public.:)

Confidence is something I have never had. But thanks to you, I'm learning to love my body, flaws and all. Life is too short.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment