Thursday, January 6, 2011

Introducing: Body After Baby!

Continuing with the New Year, New You theme, I thought it would be great to spice it up a little bit. I'm adding a new author to the mix and I couldn't be happier. I will also be carrying her blog here on The Knockout Mama until she takes my advice and starts her own personal blog because she is a fabulous writer- at that point, these posts will be hi-jacked.:)

Don't worry- you'll be able to tell the difference between our columns. I'm the foul-mouthed, in desperate need of a dye job, stay-at-home mommy that still has extra weight from my children... and my youngest is going on four. Ann, the newbie, writes professionally, is insightful, and is a younger, cute blonde that has an excuse to still have extra weight since she hasn't even hit the end of her maternity leave. Oh- and she'll also be sharing the many challenges a new mom encounters- everything from breastfeeding to heading back to the work force.

Readers- We are in it to win it... and I hope you enjoy following along these next few months. And Ann- I'm challenging you right now- First one to say hello to our 150's (as in 159.9) gets a pedicure from the loser- and I don't mean the biggest Loser.:)

Please join me in welcoming Ann:



I always said that I would never blog but when given this chance to write for I AM MODERN MAGAZINE, I just could not pass up an amazing opportunity to keep me accountable. So, here it goes! I am a 30 year old woman who has a history of yo- yo dieting and on top of that I recently had my first baby. I gave birth to a beautiful baby boy on October 26th and it was quite evident my life was changed forever. But even though I have gained an amazing addition to my life, I also gained 60 pounds. Let's be honest, ladies. Pregnancy is hard and so is everything about what we have to go through in order to get that baby out! It also continues well after you give birth if you choose to breastfeed and then trying to tackle the weight loss. It would be really easy to keep "eating for two" but it's time to get to work.

It seems that I never had the right "balance" over the years. My Dad would talk to me about balance in all aspects of life until he was blue in the face, but I am only now seeing what his wise words have meant. Like many people, I am a victim of emotional eating and to say I have had an emotionally challenging last couple of years is an understatement. I could blame it on people or situations, but in reality it is my own fault for gaining the weight back that I had taken off three years ago before my wedding. Instead of dealing with situations and people in my life that caused conflict, I turned to food - which ended up being there for me long after the issues were resolved. And by that I mean "being there" on the hips, butt, thighs....you get the idea! I was not at the exact weight that I wanted to be when I got pregnant and when I weighed in for the last time at the doctor's office before giving birth, I was 204. Yes, 204. I am 5'3. This was not OK. I have lost 34 pounds but I am currently at 171 and well, that's just not acceptable either.
It does not matter how the weight came on - I am no longer beating myself up for the poor nutritional choices that I made over the past year. What IS important is that I make a change. Not only for this beautiful baby boy that I have been blessed with, but for my husband, for my family, for my friends and most importantly for myself.

So, today I am tackling this weight loss and I hope that you will join me. I hope to inspire all those moms that lost themselves along the way and to show you that anything is possible with hard work and determination. I can promise you this - I won't let you (or me) down and I challenge you to do this with me. Beginning this Saturday morning, I will be working with my trainer twice a week and working out on my own at least 3 other days. I hope to share with you some information about nutrition and fitness that I know (and continue to learn) through my personal trainer that can help you as well. Let's do this. We have nothing to lose but weight!

No comments:

Post a Comment