Saturday, January 1, 2011

Be All You Can Be: Lisa Sanders

Some women just have it. It just seeps out of their bones and you can't help but notice it... straight up sex appeal. And then there are women like me that are more like the girl next door. I attempt a sexual face and it's almost comical. I shake my derrière and instead of making the crowd go wild, it draws a giggle.

You know a woman has that X factor when you catch yourself looking at her Facebook photos. Trust me, you'd look too if Lisa Sanders was your friend. And as a woman, I hate to say it, but you might even check out her rack and admire her glutes. Not gonna lie here, I do...

Don't worry- Lisa is so much more than just eye candy- and when I decided to write my New Year's Resolutions, I immediately thought of her. Luckily, she was game to let me do this and even took the time to talk with me. I honestly feel like I am on a mission to meet my goals. This year, I want to become more like Lisa instead of just stalking her from afar. Are you ready for my resolutions?...

*Don't Judge a book by its cover. This year, I plan to stop judging so much. Living in this area, it's easy to assume things about other women... and I must admit I'm horrible about this. I will also say it usually stems from jealousy- so when a woman like Lisa steals the show just by entering the room, I'd love to cover my hubby's eyes and talk trash about her. But really- is that fair? Or is that being a God-loving woman? I think not. Take Lisa for example. She's fit, gorgeous, and beautiful, but she's also full of smarts and there isn't a mean bone in her body. Not only that, but she's served her country in both the Army and the Air Force, been stationed overseas, is an ex police officer, and currently manages a huge account for Verizon. She's not just a pretty face...


*Age is nothing but a number.


42. Let me spell that out to you. Forty-two years old. As in over the hill, past her prime, old. Yes, pick your jaw up off the floor. I'm putting an end to calling my self damaged goods! This is just the beginning. No more fretting over my age- I'm a baby and there is hope for me yet!:) The best is yet to come!

*Focus on my nutrition.

Duh! That's been my problem my whole life. I can work out for hours each day, but until I learn to change my eating habits, I can forget looking like Lisa. Lisa is a firm believer that nutrition is the key part of weight loss and that “You are what you eat”. Damn. She even went as far as saying that 80% comes down to nutrition (quantity and timing) and the other 20% is weight training, cardio, and sleep. Double damn. I must make a change or I'm a goner. And in case you're wondering what someone like Lisa eats- Here is her daily eating regimen and extra tidbits- Inquiring minds want to know, right?...
1/2 cup oatmeal (plain) or Ezeikel bread
6 egg whites

1 apple with natural peanut butter

6 oz grilled chicken
1 small sweet potato

2 plain rice cakes with almond butter

8 oz fish with asparagus/spinach or broccoli

1 cup cottage cheese or some plain non fat Greek Yogurt with a few unsalted almonds

After workout 2 scoops of protein with a banana
Before workout 1 scoop of chocolate protein powder mixed with coffee for energy

I bring food with me on every trip in a small cooler (hard boiled eggs, rice cakes with almond butter, 6oz chicken breasts with 1 small cooked sweet potato in zip lock bags) I have containers of protein powder already measured out with 1/2 cup oatmeal so I need to do is add hot water and eat.
If I am gone for a whole week I will go to the local Whole Foods or grocery store and get food for the week.

When home I make enough food for several days and already have them measured out in small containers so when I am in a hurry I can just reach in the fridge and heat up a meal.


*Set challenges and keep it interesting.


Whether she's skydiving for charity, attending fitness shows, or being the spokeswoman and attending gun shows for Kangaroo Carry, Lisa doesn't let life become boring. This is the year of the challenge... I see a half marathon, the Warrior Run, and a triathlon in my near future. Nothing is stopping me but myself!

*Spice it up.

My poor hubby. I have an entire drawer full of nighties and pretty panties, but they haven't seen the light of day for years. I've been known to try a negligee from my bridal shower on and when I do, I find that what used to be knee length is now a stomach bearing shirt. And when I put on the matching thong, I cry because it gets lost in my crack and I don't know if I'll ever get it back. My hubby has learned that this sends me into a tizzy and he's much more likely to get lucky if I just stay in the flannels and don't get depressed. I owe it to him to bring my sexy back.:)

*Workout.
It's plain and simple. One doesn't look like this by eating bon-bons and watching reruns of 16 and pregnant. Lisa travels 80% of the year and spends a lot of time in hotels and airports. When asked how she fits it all in, she replied, "I don't have time to work out, I make time." I guess that's why she looks the way she does, and why I look the way I do!

*Know that it is possible.


Above all, Lisa is a proud mom to three children...(one is grown). She's been in my shoes- gaining thirty pounds with each pregnancy- and fighting to get the weight off. I CAN do this- and you can too!

Don't fret. I am my own person, and I don't really want to "be Lisa." But I would like to be like her in more ways than one. She is the epitome of a modern woman and she's in the position she's in because she has made it happen. If nothing else, I hope to one day be able to motivate others like she has motivated me. I plan to live this year like the words to her favorite quote:

Laugh when you can, apologize when you should. Don’t hold on to what you can’t change. Kiss slowly, play hard, forgive not forget, take chances. Be happy life is too short for anything else.

Here's to a fabulous 2011!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment