Sunday, January 9, 2011

Losing weight is a Cinch!

Cinch. It's a catchy little word, isn't it? I wish losing weight was a cinch... or that I could cinch my waist in a few inches... But it's not, and I can't- Unless I follow the new diet and wealth of information put out in this newly released book, Cinch, by Cynthia Sass- who just happens to be the coauthor of the bestseller the Flat Belly Diet.

Cinch, available in stores now, promises to help you conquer cravings, drop pounds, and lose inches. It also gets you all psyched up that you are going to have a bunch of "Yes" moments by following this plan- You know, like being able to zip up your skinny jeans without having to lie down on the bed and suck it all in. And eventhough the book calls for a mandatory daily dark-chocolate escape- Yes, as in having chocolate every day; this diet still seems far from being a cinch to me.

This book even states that you can lose up to seven pounds in the first five days!!! But, read more into it, and yes, you can- but that's if you want to be a bitch on wheels- and only eat five foods...spinach, raspberries, almonds, organic eggs, and nonfat plain organic yogurt. I bet I could author a diet where you could lose seven pounds, too- Let's see- for the next five days, only eat lettuce, flaxseed, organic apples, and water. I betcha it will work- easy, peasy, in a cinch.:)

"Stop counting, and start living," is a common theme throughout this book... and maybe I'm just negative because I don't see how I could personally live by this diet. However, eventhough I might not be signing up, I still think this book is a good read and worth the money... Without being dry and boring, it manages to be informative and actually explain to the reader why certain things are right and wrong. It actually explains the science about why I shouldn't fill my body with Diet Coke instead of just saying that it's off limits like most books do. It also touches on topics such as emotional eating, fat genes, and organic foods... For example, Sass writes that frozen foods can be just as healthy as fresh foods- if not healthier at times! She then explains how all frozen foods should be labeled Grade A, B, or C and you want to choose Grade A packages because they offer the pick of the crop. She also stresses eating locally... so when I checked my frozen broccoli in my freezer from Wegmans... It made me wonder- I'm not so sure how I feel about this...

Yes, if you can't tell- it clearly says, "Product of Guatemala." Nice.

Sass is quick to point out an alarming statistic that has stayed with me:

"According to a Johns Hopkins study, by the year 2015, 75 percent of adults in the United States will be overweight, and 41 percent will qualify as obese. By comparison, in 1996, 34 percent of U.S. adults were overweight and 17 percent were obese. The plain truth is, we've been programmed to eat when food is available to use food as a tool to cope with our emotional needs. It is easy to live a lifestyle where you overeat, day after day, week after week, month after month, year after year."

That's scary... and even frightening. And makes me think twice about everything I have read in this resourceful book. Now, if we could all have Sass's willpower, life would be a cinch.:)

If you'd like to learn more about healthy eating, I'm giving away my copy of this book. Not because it's not good and I didn't enjoy it, but because I hope you can learn and use the information just as I plan to do- even if you don't follow the exact plan. If nothing else, its fun to find all the mistakes in this book since I received the uncorrected proof before it hit stores... Things like this are fun to find:

And keeping with the theme of the book, this contest is a cinch... Just be the first to comment on my blog on iammodern.com when it is posted and this book is yours!:)

*Blog made possible by the One2OneNetwork. I was given the book, but all thoughts are my own.:)

2 comments:

  1. Great, great write up! Unbiased and informative. Keep up the good work Shelley. You have a wonderful blessing in your writing ability.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to laugh only because there are so many books on diets and exercise, makes you wonder who really is an expert? Don't over eat, Watch what you eat and exercise daily. I see people at the gym spend more time walking around, chatting and setting up the machines/weights then actually pushing themselves. At 50, I push myself 30 min everyday and pretty much eat whatever I want but don't over do it and have been able to keep the 30 pounds off for 5 years. I had high cholesterol, hadn't had a physical and just had two friends that I played softball with and knew for 10+ years die of heart attacks at 40. And, thanks to my families medical history, I just found out last year I'm diabetic(even though I'm in great shape) but keeping it manageable(taking medication too).

    ReplyDelete