Thursday, December 31, 2009

Resolutions

We're about to ring in the new year tonight... 2010- Where has the time gone? It seems like just yesterday we were preparing for the new millennium and everyone was freaking out that the world was going to come to an end. This year, I'm going to try something a little different. Instead of coming up with a mile long list of New Year's resolutions that I never get around to doing, I'm going to give myself one.

Ya see, for so long, I've put myself last on the list. I've fallen into the mom trap and my one and only identity has been being a mommy. Don't get me wrong, I don't want to lose that at all. My children are my greatest accomplishment, my pride and joy, and I never want to be anything but a mommy. But, I'm realizing that just because you are a mom doesn't mean you have to play the part in all aspects of your life. It's OK for me to have a lunch out with my girlfriends. It's OK for me to take an hour and a half out of my day to workout. It's OK for me to wear something other than Old Navy yoga pants and my brother's hand me down shirts. It really is OK.

This year, my one New Year's resolution is to succeed. Not only that, I'm giving myself permission to succeed. One day, I was reading Self magazine and came across a paragraph that struck home like nothing I've ever read before. It was me to a T. Jillian Michaels said:

"We, as women, put ourselves down and judge each other. It's like, 'My ass is fatter!' 'Oh, no, you should see my muffin top!' That's all bull. It's OK to put yourself first. Selfish isn't a dirty word. If we were all selfish, it would mean we would take care of ourselves and be able to give back to our loved ones. Being selfless is not a good example to set for your kids. Would you treat your kids the way you treat yourself? Would you deprive them of playtime and adequate sleep? Would you not make their doctor's appointments? Would you pick them apart and tell them they're ugly? No! I give people permission to go be awesome. That's it. When my contestants do it for themselves, that's a change that will last a lifetime."

I want to succeed. I also want my closets organized, my cabinets painted, not be so self-conscious, to have a clean car... the list could go on for miles. But, most of all, I want to be an awesome wife and mother... and that starts with me feeling comfortable and happy in my own skin. I'm doing this for myself because I want to be awesome, and I know 2010 is going to be a great year!

1 comment:

  1. The more I read, Shelley, the more I want to be more like you. You have such passion and conviction when you write...I just can't get enough!

    ReplyDelete