Saturday, January 23, 2010

Mr. Nice Guy

Nice guys finish last. FACT. Actually, after today, I think that's totally bologna. Once again, I stepped out of my comfort zone to try a new instructor. It's crazy, but when I try a new class or instructor it's like the first day of school- complete with butterflies, sweaty palms, and wooziness! I took Nick's kickboxing class, and LOVED it. It was just the change of pace I needed...



So far, I LOVE all the instructors, but Nick came across with a totally different approach. He brought so much life and energy to the class it was amazing. He was like the energizer bunny hopping around class making sure everyone was doing the move right and the entire time, he was full of encouragement. If I saw Nick on the street, I wouldn't peg him as a fighter... He looks like the nicest guy in the world... but looks can be deceiving. He is a master motivator... throw a couple black belts into the mix and you've got one hell of an instructor. Today was the first day that I learned a fair bit of defense. Like they always say, "Offense wins games, but defense wins championships." I love pounding the bag, but one thing I've learned is that if I were to ever get hit, I'd be done. I mean, if I complain when my shin hits the bag wrong, how could I ever take a punch? So, it was good to learn some techniques to defend myself. Nick is also the King of Jumping Jacks. There is absolutely no break in between rounds. You are constantly working. I was talking to a friend after class (yes, the high school hottie friend- ugh!- but on a good note, I did learn that she eats perfect, so she does work at being hot, so that makes me feel better:)) and we both agreed that we felt like we burned a ton of calories in Nick's class... and since my main goal is weight loss, I think I'll be taking more of Nick's classes!

Nice guys definitely don't finish last. When Nick would do 50 sit-ups, I'd do maybe 30- if I was lucky. He'd whip through the exercises at lightening speed- but it just made me want to work harder to get in more reps. My realization of the day is that you have to be in crazy shape to ever compete in a match. In reality, if I try and go balls to the wall for one round, I'm pooped. I try to give it my all, but the energy is just not there. Hmmmm... More cardio this week???:)

Oh, and today was like a breath of fresh air... I saw that NASER'S back!!! He was my first instructor ever... and like many people's firsts, I have a soft spot for him!:) I can't wait for his class tomorrow morning!

No comments:

Post a Comment