Monday, March 8, 2010

6 o'clock in the mornin'

Where ya gonna be? Outside on the corner... O.k., I might be dating myself, and I know it should be five instead of six, but I couldn't resist. I love that song and it reminds me of my senior year in high school. Good times, good times.

Rise and shine... My alarm went off at 5:15am this morning- just enough time for me to roll out of bed to make Nick's 6am kickboxing class. Whenever I take Nick's class, it feels like my first class all over again. I get butterflies and when I pull into the parking lot, it takes everything I have not to turn around and head home. This class is legit, hard, and challenging.

If you have never taken Nick's class, I will preface you and let you know that it's not for the faint of heart. Don't even think you can come take it on your way to work... because you will need a shower. Despite my best efforts of antiperspirant Dial soap and Mitchem deodorant, I still leave this class drenched in sweat and smelling like a man.

Let me let you in on a little secret. Nick has turned this 6am class into his own little fight club. Each member is more than welcoming and so willing to help a newbie- but folks, these people are like well oiled machines. They have on point technique, can breath like a pro, and are in amazing shape. I'm not a betting kind of gal, but if I was, I would put money on any one of these members in a sparring match. If anything, they would outlast their opponent because they are so conditioned. What I love is that each time I take this class, Nick catches on that I'm a little remedial and gives me some extra guidance. It's not like he spends the whole class with me, but he points out little tidbits and things that I can improve on. He'll show me a combination and let me work on it.

I've always wanted to pay for a boot camp class, but didn't have the funds. They are usually on the pricey side. I may be biased, but this class has to burn more calories and work you out harder than any boot camp class around. But seriously, Nick- do we really need to do rounds of burpees followed by star jumps? I mean really? Kill me now.

My family and friends will tell ya- I'm a woman that loves her sleep. I would sleep in every day if I could. Up until a few weeks ago, if you came to my house during the afternoon, my kids and I would all be in our pajamas for nap time. Yes, we changed into comfy clothes in the middle of the day and shut our house down. It was heaven... until my five year old decided to start outgrowing naps.:(

6 o'clock in the morning... this Friday- I'll be in Nick's class. I'll put on my battle face, drive to class in the dark, sweat my booty off, and then stretch while the sun rises. I will gladly forgo sleep to feel the way I feel after I take a class. Three months ago, this never would have crossed my mind... and now I live for it. It's where I'm gonna be. If you'd like to join me, e-mail me at hokie30sgirl@aol.com!

No comments:

Post a Comment