Sunday, June 20, 2010

Big Daddy Mike

Meet my Dad:


Everyone knows a guy like my father. He's a jack-of-all trades, he's never met a stranger, he'll go out of his way to help someone, and he's that all around person that just makes people smile. Nothing phases him and he doesn't give a rat's ass about what other's think of him- Oh how I wish I had gotten that trait! This man just is who he is. He's always been there for me even when I was so mean and hurtful- You know- those high school years when I would yell, "You will never see your grandchildren, EVER!" Funny how things change. I pray all the time that he's forgiven me for my down right mean behavior back then, but the truth is, I know that my dad forgave me the second it happened. That's just how my dad is. He's our coach, our friend, our disciplinarian, and most of all, our Dad.

Even if you aren't lucky enough to know my dad, I'm sure you know someone like him. My dad is overweight, has high blood pressure, is stressed due to his job, and is knocking on heaven’s door. My dad lost his father way too early to a heart attack at the age of 49, so I guess I should count my lucky stars that I have my dad today. But ya know what? I want him around much longer, and if we don't get him to change his habits, he won't be.

The great people at POM sent me a care package this week- a case of POM Wonderful 100% pomegranate juice. Companies like this amaze me. They send out free products to your average people in the hopes that we blog about them (as I'm doing now). But the truth is, they actually give bloggers like me a voice. In all reality, I could totally bash their product if I wanted to- we do live in America and I have the freedom of speech. But this is one company I won't bash...

POM just so happened to open the dialogue up between my dad and me. I know that he's on blood pressure medicine, and I also learned that he takes a baby aspirin every day. So, he is doing some good. Now, if we can get his diet and exercise on track, hopefully he can start feeling better and live longer. He tried a bottle of POM and downed the whole thing. When asked how it was, he replied, "Great... but I can't taste a damn thing." He lost his taste a long time ago... so that makes me wonder whey he keeps eating fried foods instead of fruit.:)

And just to add a shout out to POM... over 45 studies have shown that POM products are proven to help heart, prostate, erectile function, and many other conditions. Did ya hear that daddio?:) And did you know that many scholars now suggest that it was the pomegranate, not an apple, depicted in the biblical Garden of Eden? Interesting stuff, I tell ya.:)

If you have someone that struggles with weight or health issues, I strongly encourage you to step in and say something before it's too late. I hope my dad realizes that we love him so... and that he truly is our Father... who we DON'T want in heaven... YET!

2 comments:

  1. I've had the pleasure of meeting Big Mike and I can validate that he's a great man. I can also validate that a 24 hour fast of nothing but pomengranate juice and almonds will produce a turd worthy of taking a picture of. Uncle Mike...drink your POM until I see you again, then we'll have some beers and fried foods.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great write up Shelley. Your Dad is so proud of you. Keep him on track and it will keep him around a long time :)
    Joanie, aka Gram xo

    ReplyDelete