Tuesday, August 3, 2010

I can't Hang...

As girly girl as I may be, I'm a tomboy at heart. I grew up in the country where we'd ride four-wheelers afterschool and come in for dinner when we heard the dinner bell ring. For real. I played baseball because there wasn't a softball team in good ole' Arcola, and to this day I can still show you my Cub Scouts honor because my dad was the den leader and I have two brothers. It was never a dull moment with my brother's and I always tried to keep up- even if it meant that I had to be the Ultimate Warrior and wrestle instead of parading around like Miss Elizabeth. I'd spend afternoons chasing down Redskins in Herndon for their autographs, and my life's aspiration was to be Art Monk. To this day, I love watching ESPN, and I'm counting down the days until football season.

On Sunday, when I showed up to LA Boxing, I thought that I might have read the schedule wrong. I was in Mark's class and when I looked around I saw twenty other people in the class... all men. I was the only female and I suddenly felt nervous. Mark led a boot camp style class and I was determined to hold my own. I impressed myself and was able to keep up. At one point, I thought to myself, "Man, I'm glad I'm not a young, hot girl because all these guys would be checking me out. Five minutes later, I thought, "Damn, I'm not getting checked out at all. Not even by the old men." Not a good sign- That sucks. Ha!

Fast forward to today. I'm still in pain. I'm self-medicating with Advil because my legs hurt so bad from the squat drills. On Sunday I gave the lifeguard at our pool a heart attack when I screamed at the top of my lungs because I thought I was dying from a Charlie horse. And last night, my hubby had to hold my forearms for support so I didn't have to squat all the way down on the toilet to pee. He questioned if that was what he's going to have to do in our golden years... but I was quick to tell him not a chance. Considering I pee when I sneeze and knowing my bladder, I'll most definitely be in diapers by then.

I tried to work out today, but my leg muscles can't take it. After thirty minutes on the elliptical, I threw in the towel. Yesterday, I tried to do yard work and when I was gracefully trimming my shrubs, I cut right through the orange electric cord and almost started a massive fire. Thank God the breaker tripped.

Lesson learned. I'm not a man and I don't have to always keep up with them. Thank God my brother's have realized that as well. They gave me a pass last night and let me eat a few chips while we all watched the Bachelorette… and I didn’t even think twice about reneging their man card.:)

No comments:

Post a Comment