Monday, November 15, 2010

Pro-Mom

***I interrupt this blog for one more mommy post. We will then return to the regularly scheduled weight loss blogging. I promise.:)

"Motherhood brings as much joy as ever, but it still brings boredom, exhaustion, and sorrow too. Nothing else ever will make you as happy or as sad, as proud or as tired, for nothing is quite as hard as helping a person develop his own individuality especially while you struggle to keep your own." -- Marguerite Kelly and Elia Parsons

This goes for ALL mothers. After my last blog, I realized I sounded like a know-it-all mother that goes around looking like a worn down housewife all the time. I came across somewhat resentful and bitter. I promise... that's not me. I'm never a know-it-all (at least I hope) and I do manage to look halfway put together at least two out of every five days.

Obviously, I was fired up, and something had struck a nerve. When I became a mother, I had soooo many expectations. I was going to give birth to my baby and then bounce right back to a body better than ever. My baby was going to sleep through the night, be a pro at nursing, never use a pacifier, and be nothing short of an angel.

Of course, to this day, I think my kids are angels, but the fact of the matter is- this here skinny girl that was called Twiggy while growing up has yet to return to pre-baby weight and we're going on four years. I'm officially the fat mom blogger. For the first two months, my son woke up every two hours like clockwork. While he was a pro at nursing, I had to return to work for four weeks to qualify for the house we were building, and during four weeks of 12 hour overnight shifts, despite my best pumping efforts, my milk dried up and my baby was formula fed. My child used a pacifier- or bippy- as we lovingly called it way too long, and that's only the tip of the iceberg.

While I write how I'm a stay-at-home mom that's into attachment parenting- it's true. But I'm not one to stick to rules or expectations. Hellloooo- I quickly shipped my kids off last weekend so I could enjoy girl's weekend! On any given day, I'm a good mom. Sometimes I'm a great mom. But there are days where we watch way too much t.v., I still hold my breath every day at the bus stop because I'm afraid my son is going to go crazy, and my daughter is on month ten of asking for a diaper to poop in. And she's pushing four. But what's a woman to do?

The biggest lesson I've learned about parenting is not to have any expectations, not to pass judgment, and to realize that we're all in this together. Some of the best moms that I know are working moms. My son who took formula was just as healthy as my daughter who never had a bottle in her life. None of us love our children any more or any less. We all have strengths and weaknesses and no one is right or wrong.

Life sometimes just is what it is- and so is motherhood. If you take the time to read my blog, you are probably doing the same thing I'm doing while I write it... Passing the time, having a second to yourself, and trying to be real. And I hope you realize, that's just what I was trying to do.:)

And damn. That right there took a Diet Coke and a Super Pretzel to pen.

No comments:

Post a Comment